I am going to make a tambor door cabinet with curvy tambor slats--kinda like a snake!
Here's what made me think of it. Sarah and I went for a hike in Mission Trails just south of the 52 near Santee this weekend. On our hike, we stopped in the shad of a massive tree near a stream to eat the lunch we brought. While we were sitting there eating and chatting, I noticed a snake in the puddle near by. It was a small garter snake that would periodically poke its head out of the water to breathe and hunt water bugs skimming across the top of the water. Neither of us had seen anything like that before and for whatever reason it made me think of my tambor cabinet. I went to the river bank near by and drew in the sand what I wanted to do with my tambor door.
As you might be able to see in the picture, each strip of the door is an 's' curve with the same radius on both sides of 's.' The top and bottom of the strip is straight where fabric will be glued to the back. It looks really cool in the model, and I think it will work. There will be two sliding doors that meet in the indented part. I think there will be a divider inside for structure and to divide the interior space. If the inside of the box was lit, the light escaping from between the slats might be cool too. And funny enough, the source for the idea came from nature, watching a snake chase bugs in a puddle. This imagery could also be used to make a pattern of some kind in the top, maybe ripples of a wake or a snake skin texture.

No comments:
Post a Comment